Stop awhile to share in this adventure with our needles...

Monday, April 02, 2007

Back to my roots

McCalls 2818

I remember the first timeI ever made anything was way way back when I was 5 or 6, I cut out and stitched a dress for my doll. I do believe that the whole thing fell apart.

Over the years, and especially during my teenage phase I made just about everything I wore - I left home and studied Dressmaking at City and Guilds level, continuing all the while to make the majority of my wardrobe.

When I had my daughter and our family circumstances altered dramatically I found myself with less and less time to "sew". Sadly over the last 12 years, I have only made a handful of garments for myself, my DD and DS.

The sewing machine was out to repair yet another bust pocket, and the muse struck, so with a piece of silk I have had in my stash for at least 20 years (I know I bought it when studying for my C & G) I have rediscovered my dressmaking mojo!

I did find that the pattern required some alteration - gone are the days when there was little alteration required - and it has taken me very nearly a week to get to this stage, when previously I would have had it licked in a day, but the satisfaction that I now feel is reward in itself. Here's to future projects.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Beautiful top! I love a simple shell top myself. Right now all the pattenrs out there are so, hmm, is the term twee?

The Silver Thistle said...

What a fantastic top! How wonderful that you've found your mojo again!

I used to stitch skirts for my barbies but beyond that, the only thing I've stitched is a nightie for Home Ecc at school I think. Awful thing it was too, lol. Hated the sight of it by the time it was finished.

Mac said...

Very nice! I'm impressed that you kept something in your stash for twenty years - I get compelled to purge now and then. Heh!